2013年10月10日星期四

Be careful while writing a new paper [1]

Writing an paper is a collection of your skills including writing, programming, organization. But all of these will be based on your data analysis. While I am writing my first paper, I made many mistakes and it costed so much time to realize and correct them. Now just want to show you some tips about the data analysis I have faced before writing the paper.

(1) Always try to make correct data. In the very beginning, I just select my sample with simple color-color diagram. Then I have to use my eyes to check the images and spectra. When I found a mistake, I have to doing the eye check again which will cost me one or more days. So please ready for select the correct data at the first time. You can try to check what others have done using the same or similar data.

While using the color color selection, you can using some S/N to obtain a more reliable sample.
Try to think about what kind of sample you will selected before the selection.
Try a selection for test before serous selection, and you will find some tips for improvement.
Make sure your data has been proceed with the correct pipline before the selection.

(2) Make your programs being well organized. Never think so simple that I will only use this program for only one time!  never !  you will revise it, improve it, make other program based on the simple one. Be prepared for the future work. Just assuming that you program will also be used by other astronomers.
   It is also important to let the output more convenient to use and check. Other than good figures and good catalog, usually, you may think you only need the magnitude of the objects, so you just print the magnitude out. You are wrong! Save all the information of the selected sample in one file and also make it readable. It is more complicate but really worth it. You can check the information you need from this reorganized files.
   Last thing, make sure the program is correct!

(3) Do not believe your eyes. You may think the relation is good and the distribution is different. But all these things are based on your eyes which also means it is based on your current experience. They could be fake. So do some tests or experiments to see what is happening. Trues will be inside the figures!




没有评论:

发表评论